Saturday, March 11, 2006

 
GoatBoy's Rant-a-riffic Week of 3/6-10 Pt V: Brokeback Redux Redux

ITEM! A bitter argument ensued with a pal over this BOREBACK mess. One set of musings from the Jaundiced I...

My pick for the best gay-themed film of 2005 was Don Roos' HAPPY ENDINGS, a film I enjoyed immensely.

I feel that it is extremely important that the story of men such as Jack and Ennis to be told. That is a very sad chapter in culture from which we've not yet escaped... but we're making progress. My feeling simply was that the actual filmic execution was lifeless. There were certain illuminating facets of the story which were also lost, and that sapped some of the story's final impact.

I quizzed a number of gay friends who were similarly puzzled by the appeal of this movie. I am glad that the film has become a rallying point, and is bringing up good conversations. I feel that gay culture is now enriching mainstream society in the same positive way that black culture did in the 20th century. If this movie helps that, then I am glad. I just wish I liked that movie more. I'm in the mood for indignant outrage at meaningless things, and were I to like that movie, I could get pissed off over the CRASH victory.

Ron Zombie was robbed!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?