Sunday, June 11, 2006

 
Domina mea exstat a tergo!

I'm amazed at how a fourteen-year-old rap number continues its heroic march across popular culture; I'm of course refering to Sir Mixalot's "Baby Got Back." I hate how so many people say they enjoy rap because they feel like they have to, but this one has all the marks of a true classic. It's been covered as a heavy metal song, a Christian pop song (!), and a Las Vegas crooner number by Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine. It's been translated into Latin, and equals any of the Epigrams of Martial. Thanks to the Internet, we have several anime videos of the song and one using characters from the Warcraft game. And the crowning achievement is Jonathan Coulton's strangely beautiful folky cover version: "In the proud tradition of many white Americans who came before me I hereby steal and white-ify this thick and juicy piece of black culture. "

Seriously, could even a lyricist such as Sondheim come up with a triple-rhyme lyric combining "Jane Fonda", "Honda", and "my anaconda?"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?