Friday, July 21, 2006

 
THE PIRATE MOVIE


There are two good scenes, and they both take place on dry land. Every time the cast jumps onboard a ship, the audience is in for it. My main complaint about the latest Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't that it made no sense, just that the FUN really lags, for long stretches. During that time, we see tentacles, a surprisingly tedious crew of mutated sailors, Mr. Depp going for laughs, tropical islands, a short man with an unconvincing scheme to become powerful, and other stuff. I did like how the actor playing Davy Jones (clearly based on Cthulhu) spoke his lines in a brogued tenor--no synthesizing his voice to a roar, not even a basso profundo. And I liked the music. I could point out that the kraken was a mollusky vagina dentata, if I knew what that meant. Too damn long.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?