Tuesday, October 24, 2006

 
THAT'S A WRAP

I started Cormac McCarthy's apocalyptic The Road the other day (I bought it at Coliseum Books, which is going out business--I thought that was fitting), and I agree with all the reviews that it's brilliant, but damn, 30 pages in and it's hard to pull myself out of its intensely morbid universe. I'm scared about going any further. I haven't felt like this since I read Blindness.

For a far less powerful but much more clinical look at the end of the world, there's the helpful Web site Exit Mundi, which catalogs every conceivable doomsday scenario according to sound effect, from the possible "Booomm!!" and the inevitable "Aaaaargh!" to the less likely "Beep Beep!" and the just plain silly (or is it?) "Groarrggh!"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?