Tuesday, November 07, 2006

 
OBLIGATORY BORAT POST

So I saw Borat--extremely funny, almost unbelievably funny, but I got a problem with a lot of the reviews (aside from all their spoilers); I don't know if the movie works as satire. I don't even know if satire works at all--anyway, in this film there aren't exactly revelations, and I don't remember seeing the mighty brought low (Is anyone surprised by rodeo enthusiasts making cracks about shooting gays, or drunken frat boys talking trash about 'bitches?' Pretty easy and predictable targets, if you ask me). I'm glad so many critics enjoyed it, but spare the "isms," please.
After you've seen it, take a look at what I mean; The New York Times review mentioned "social satire," The L.A. Times also credited the film with a big agenda though wisely pointed out that the people duped in the film may not be as gullible as they look, and an interesting review at Spiked brought up the limits of Cohen's comedy, while still praising the movie. Indeed, how did some of the people punked in the film regard the experience? The BBC did a follow-up piece on that score--RECOMMENDED READING. What struck me in this movie isn't the gullibility of Americans; many of them are more polite and hospitable to this oaf than they need to be. And they can comfort themselves knowing that they were conned by a master. Cohen is an extremely talented actor, and few could withstand his skilled ruses.
If you want to get a taste of how quickly Cohen's shtick gets stale, check out his appearance on The Daily Show. Fortunately, the film sustains the joke for much longer, with greater success.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?